Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Social Security

Social Security

I am applying for Social Security Disability for Spane. We are not the richest people in the world, and I don't know if this is something that he is going to have to deal with for the rest of his life, but if it is, at least he will be in system and can get benefits. More information is available at http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/156/~/benefits-for-disabled-children.

Thankfully, Spane had a good night Tuesday night, and was happy to get going in the morning. We walked over to Social Security, and Spane was a good boy all though the interview. I am amazed at the Social Security Administration's computer system. They use workstations that look like them may be hooked up to an old Teletype program, probably written some ancient IBM language. But the good news is that the worker seemed to think it was a valid case. He does not have anything to do with the determination, the disability section takes care of that, but at least he didn't point and laugh when I sat down.

I have to be able to supply some more documentation. I'm writing it down here so I don't forget and I can easily get to it if I have an Internet connection.

  1. Spane's Birth Certificate
  2. Rent Receipt
  3. 2010 Tax Return
  4. Utility Bill
  5. Income Source

At the Therapist

I'm glad that Spane is spending time with the therapist alone. I told her what happened on Sunday night, that I was really afraid of what was happening. She said that I was under a lot of pressure, and that I should probably seek counseling myself. I told her I was already in counseling for domestic violence, but she suggested I would do better with more, and I agree. Next week, I am going to see if there is a group or something about parenting skills I can join.

His therapist told me she would talk to him about doing what he was supposed to do chores as he was told, go to sleep on time, be respectful. I want Spane to get all greens on his reward charts!

The Usual Suspects

Spane had a headache tonight, but he got to sleep at a reasonable time.

No comments:

Post a Comment