Friday, August 12, 2011

Four O'Clock and Nothing is Well

I fell asleep on the couch watching television, and when I woke up it was 3:00 and there was some infomercial about an indoor grill. It looked interesting, and I actually watched it.

So, I finally got into bed at 3:30, and was having some nice dreams.

Suddenly, I felt Spane getting up, and the next thing I know he's telling me that he threw up. No problem, I say, just clean up whatever little mess, and come back to bed. Well, he took a long time, and then he came back and said, "Mom, I can't clean it up, there's too much." Then I got up.

It was indeed all over the place, all over the rug in front of the tub. I told him to get up whatever he could with the rug, roll the rug up and put it in the trash. Then I got him a towel and he cleaned up the rest. It didn't get completely cleaned up - my mop died the other night, and I don't know where to get a mop at 4:00 a.m.

My first thought was that it was the Seroquel that was doing it, but this morning, when Spane got up, he had a fever, so it might have been the flu. I hope so.

4 comments:

  1. I am wondering why none of your doctors have suggested that Spane have a shunt put in to help his brain fluid drain more easily. Perhaps Dandy Walker cyst is putting pressure on a part of his brain that causes abnormal sensations, like voices? You should ask this question if you haven't already. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting, and commenting. To answer your question, we are still waiting for the neurologist appointment at Children's. I have a friend who works with special kids, and she has a kid with a shunt. I'm sure that's what they will do, and I'm so anticipating this for my little one. I can't imagine what he's going through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again, it's the same anonymous commenter as before. :) I must say, I'm hooked on your blog (and it also scares me a little, because my DW boy is only 9 months and I don't know if I can handle what you seem to be dealing with here. I did some Googling related to hallucinations and Dandy Walker. One interesting thing I discovered was a study involving a middle-aged woman with DW variant. She had begun to hear voices, and when the did the MRI they found that her THIRD ventricle had enlarged to the point that pressure was being put on her hypothalmus and other organs (thalmus?) in the general area. THIS is what was causing the hallucations as well as some personality changes (aggression). To fix it, they made an incision in the 3rd ventricle (on the underside? Not sure, had to weed through the tech jargon). This way, the fluid was able to go around and drain another way, rather than backing up in the fourth ventricle and then causing the middle (3rd) ventricle to swell. I hope they find a similar solution for your boy. Hope this post makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really interesting, and kind of hopeful information. I talked to Spane's father today, and told him about what was going on. All of his friends and I have always known something was wrong with him, but we couldn't put a finger on it. He's 42 years old, and been a drug and alcohol abuser for a long time. He'll try to stop, but with no support system, and debilitating headaches, he has not been successful. I'll bet my bottom dollar that he's been walking around for 42 years with some form of DWS.

    ReplyDelete