Thursday, August 11, 2011

Finally, Some Answers!

Up Early

Spane and I got up early so we could be on time to see the psychiatrist. This is a pediatric psychiatrist, which is a good thing, because little people have different needs than big people do.

Telling the Story

I answered questions, while Spane played with Legos, about Spane's behavior, his headaches, his voices, and his people for about an hour. That is one of the reasons I am keeping this blog. In case I forget something, I can refer to it when talking to a medical professional, or other person who needs this information. In fact, I have actually told people that the story is too long and to visit the blog instead. Frankly, I'm getting tired to telling the story. In the beginning, because it was so new, it felt good to tell people what was happening, and get feedback. Lately, I have been telling the story, but not getting that good feedback.

Good Feedback

That has now changed. After I got through telling the doctor all this stuff, she finally said the words I wanted to hear "Yes, we can definitely help Spane".

She said that it was the Dandy Walker Syndrome that was causing the voices. I was so thrilled to know that - as everyone else has said they were not sure. Finally, to the root of the problem.

She also said the DWS was probably responsible for a whole host of things, including the stomach aches that Spane has had almost continuously since April, 2011. His pediatrician thought that has well, and it's nice to have two doctors agree on the same thing.

I went into another room while the doctor and Spane had a talk. I played with Legos, too, and was just about to make a spectacular home design when the doctor asked me to come back in.

Medication

The doctor prescribed Seroquel for Spane and said that it would get rid of the voices. She told me that was his biggest desire, to get rid of the voices. She also agreed they were the most important thing, mainly because they tell him to hurt me.

The plan is 25mg every night for four nights, then 25mg in the morning and 25mg at night for four days, and then 50mg at night after that. Hopefully, he will be acclimated to the medication by the time he goes back to school on the 29th of August.

We got the prescription filled and then went home as I was having a luncheon with Josef and a guest.

Spane Gets Grounded

Sometimes, I lose it. I really do. We came home and I had about a half an hour to clean up the house. Most of the mess was stuff that Spane had lying on the living room floor, that I had asked him many times to clean up. He kept on telling me to have patience as I watched him playing, instead of cleaning up. Finally, I lost it and "Mean Mommy" came out with a belt, smacked him on his tush, and cleaned everything up myself. My back hurt. I told Spane that he was grounded from his bicycle, his scooter, and TV for a week. I don't know why the child insists on not telling me he has a headache until after I get mad at him.

We Have Lunch

I took a picture of the Risotto Rice Balls that I was serving for lunch with a tossed green salad. By that time, Spane was in a better mood, and helped with the serving. We had a good lunch, and I told Spane he could watch TV in his room, just not on the TV in the living room, which has more stuff on it.

Taking Medication

I wasn't hungry after eating that great lunch, but Spane was, so he had a Pop Tart and an Oreo. I gave him his medication at 8:00pm, and he was asleep by 9:00pm! Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment